The character witnesses for Jeremy Bamber

Started by Erik Narramore, January 31, 2022, 03:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erik Narramore

I'm not sure it really was 'good character' evidence in the proper sense.  I can't recall exactly, but it was more like his former employer in Colchester and somebody else who knew him telling the court he was alright as far as they were concerned.

To my mind, that's not good character evidence.  I would consider good character evidence as something along the lines of a pillar of the community who had no direct knowledge of the offences assuring the court that the accused's character is not consistent with guilt.

In this case, had Jeremy followed your suggestion and attended church with Jean, presumably the vicar/rector would have given good character evidence to inform the court of how Jeremy is a man of God who could not possibly have done such an evil thing, blah, blah, etc., etc.

I don't believe anybody who has even the most scant knowledge of the case could credibly argue that Jeremy Bamber was a man of good character.  He plainly wasn't, and the witnesses you refer to did not, in my opinion, adduce good character.

None of this makes Jeremy guilty of course.  Conversely, even the best good character evidence can only be considered persuasive; it is not proof of innocence.

As for Julie Mugford, as I say, it's just rumours.  The sources are various and mostly on this Forum.
"If the accusation is not proved beyond reasonable doubt against the man accused in the dock, then by law he is entitled to be acquitted, because that is the way our rules work.  It is no concession to give him the benefit of the doubt. He is entitled by law to a verdict of Not Guilty." - R v Adams

Erik Narramore

Paul Osborne did give evidence for Jeremy's character.  Off-hand, I can't recall about the others.

The significant one is Jean Bouttell.  Barbara Wilson was up close to the business matters of the family.  Jeremy was still young and not yet in sync with the lifestyle of his parents and their aspirations for him.  He was bound to cause tensions and Nevill had Barbara as a sounding board.

Jean saw things more at the personal end, and like Barbara, would have seen both the good and bad sides of Jeremy, but perhaps developed an attachment to him and a more balanced view, having seen him grow up.
"If the accusation is not proved beyond reasonable doubt against the man accused in the dock, then by law he is entitled to be acquitted, because that is the way our rules work.  It is no concession to give him the benefit of the doubt. He is entitled by law to a verdict of Not Guilty." - R v Adams

Zak Beresford

In fairness what is " good character witnesses"

In any sort of trial scope it all boils down to like you say" he seemed a decent chap, he was alright with me" " he fetched the sandwiches "

Personality witnesses will hold minimal bearing Erik

Erik Narramore

Quote from: Zak Beresford on November 21, 2022, 10:34:55 PMIn fairness what is " good character witnesses"

In any sort of trial scope it all boils down to like you say" he seemed a decent chap, he was alright with me" " he fetched the sandwiches "

Personality witnesses will hold minimal bearing Erik

I know that.