"He Did Not Have A Farming Heart"

Started by Erik Narramore, November 12, 2022, 05:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erik Narramore

Under cross-examination, at trial, Barbara Wilson stated of Jeremy: "He did not have a farming heart".  This forms part of a wider narrative about Jeremy that, not only did he lack farming inclinations, he just wasn't a 'worker'.  The point being made by those who put this forward is that Jeremy was not simpatico with Nevill and would not - could not - have eventually run the farm and estates in a productive way.

Let's consider this.

In fact, Jeremy did labour on the farm, but I agree that in general his role was probably a bit more supervisory, while Nevill had overall charge of things.  Nevill was very hands-on, despite his age, so would have expected this of Jeremy.  I believe this was partly the source of Nevill's frustration with Jeremy, but in fairness to Jeremy, I'm not sure if this reflects entirely badly on him.  Nevill and Jeremy were just different people, and Nevill was responsible for bringing this about.  If Nevill was hands-on, Jeremy was more a 'hands-off' type person - mainly due to the influences and pressures Nevill had engineered for Jeremy, including steering him through a traditional upper middle-class public school.

You could make the argument that Jeremy's 'hands-off' inclinations would have worked better from a business point-of-view in the long run.  He had ideas for updating and modernising the business that would have required a more strategic view.  In Jeremy's defence, some people run businesses successfully by 'standing back' and observing and paying people to be in charge of things.  I think Jeremy's plan was to install a salaried farm manager and focus more on the holiday park.  Can we say this was wrong?
"If the accusation is not proved beyond reasonable doubt against the man accused in the dock, then by law he is entitled to be acquitted, because that is the way our rules work.  It is no concession to give him the benefit of the doubt. He is entitled by law to a verdict of Not Guilty." - R v Adams

Zak Beresford

Everything about Jeremy bamber is split down the middle by people.

" He did not have a farming heart "

" He worked well on the farm "

" He was rude to his father "

" He was in awe of nevill and timid found him "

" He was spiteful "

" He was funny caring relaxed great sense of humour"

" He was workshy"

" He worked on a sugar cane farm in Australia worked at whf, little chef, sloppy Joes"

Erik Narramore

Quote from: Zak Beresford on November 27, 2022, 08:29:37 AMEverything about Jeremy bamber is split down the middle by people.

" He was spiteful "

" He was workshy"

" He worked on a sugar cane farm in Australia worked at whf, little chef, sloppy Joes"

It seems that Jeremy was all things to all people. 

Somewhere among these QCChevalier/Gascoigne posts is a comment by me to the effect that we can find support for whatever view we choose about Jeremy or Sheila depending on who we ask.  If you ask some people, Sheila was virtually catatonic half the time; others say she was the life of the party and an excellent cook.  And so on.
"If the accusation is not proved beyond reasonable doubt against the man accused in the dock, then by law he is entitled to be acquitted, because that is the way our rules work.  It is no concession to give him the benefit of the doubt. He is entitled by law to a verdict of Not Guilty." - R v Adams

Zak Beresford

Quote from: Erik Narramore on November 27, 2022, 06:39:48 PM
Quote from: Zak Beresford on November 27, 2022, 08:29:37 AMEverything about Jeremy bamber is split down the middle by people.

" He was spiteful "

" He was workshy"

It seems that Jeremy was all things to all people. 

Somewhere among these QCChevalier/Gascoigne posts is a comment by me to the effect that we can find support for whatever view we choose about Jeremy or Sheila depending on who we ask.  If you ask some people, Sheila was virtually catatonic half the time; others say she was the life of the party and an excellent cook.  And so on.

It is all down to the agenda

I have never bought what the boutflour Eaton camp have said about Shelia or jeremy

The former because there was little time spent in her company
 The latter even less