Sheila could not have overcome Nevill

Started by Erik Narramore, January 29, 2022, 09:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erik Narramore

I just find it interesting that they would think to take that precaution when they could just 'instantly reclaim' the gun off her - or so you say.

Surely the point is that anybody with a gun is dangerous and Nevill, with his military training, would know this and might be cautious?

I'm not saying the prosecution were entirely wrong, it's more - at least for me - a case of admitting that there is a reasonable alternative possibility, which is that Nevill was wary of her because she was armed, so he tried to talk her down and maybe used the call to Jeremy as a psychological ploy, etc., etc.
"If the accusation is not proved beyond reasonable doubt against the man accused in the dock, then by law he is entitled to be acquitted, because that is the way our rules work.  It is no concession to give him the benefit of the doubt. He is entitled by law to a verdict of Not Guilty." - R v Adams

Erik Narramore

To be honest, I think there would have been great urgency in either situation, it's just that I don't exclude the possibility that Nevill made a misjudgement.  The prosecution are quite right that the right course of action for Nevill was to rush her, maybe with the help of a chair or some such, but we are saying that with the benefit of hindsight.  Nevill may have decided differently.

Since neither of us were there, we have to ask ourselves this question: Is it reasonable to suppose that Nevill tried to talk her down, maybe used a call to Jeremy as a psychological ploy, and she then rushed upstairs and the shooting started?

If something along those lines can be considered reasonable, then - potentially - the verdict can be Not Guilty.
"If the accusation is not proved beyond reasonable doubt against the man accused in the dock, then by law he is entitled to be acquitted, because that is the way our rules work.  It is no concession to give him the benefit of the doubt. He is entitled by law to a verdict of Not Guilty." - R v Adams