Jeremy drove slowly to the farmhouse

Started by Erik Narramore, January 29, 2022, 08:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erik Narramore

If he's guilty, then I think the explanation is simple: he is going slowly to ensure that the police see him arrive, as he thinks this supports his quasi-alibi.

But how do we know he was driving slowly?  Did he admit it?  If so, did he explain it?  Did the police ever confirm their own speed?  It seems to be based on what the police say, but wouldn't a police response car in that situation be going quicker than normal traffic, so may well overtake Jeremy in that situation anyway?

I think I recall reading a witness statement from a response officer saying that he was surprised at how slow the car was going and then recognised the same car when Jeremy pulled up.  But are we sure it wasn't just the officer being impatient to get to the incident?  People who need to get somewhere in a hurry often make for impatient drivers and can interpret the actions of other drivers as overly-hesitant.  And can the officer be sure it was the same car as Jeremy's?

Let's say the officer's impressions were accurate.  Couldn't it just be that Jeremy was woken up and was driving in the early hours of the morning?  If he is telling the truth and he was woken at something like 3 a.m., then had to drive along dark country roads, wouldn't he be tired and drive more slowly and cautiously than usual?

There is also the explanation you mention: that he was afraid to go to the farm ahead of the police.  On the face of it, this is not very convincing because it's doubtful that Jeremy would be afraid of Sheila, even with a gun, but we must remember that an innocent Jeremy was not to know at this point that it would only be Sheila.  The circumstances were extraordinary and he may have been afraid.
"If the accusation is not proved beyond reasonable doubt against the man accused in the dock, then by law he is entitled to be acquitted, because that is the way our rules work.  It is no concession to give him the benefit of the doubt. He is entitled by law to a verdict of Not Guilty." - R v Adams

Erik Narramore

Phone records weren't itemised and interestingly I note he made a point of asking the police to collect him on their way.

It was never strictly an alibi.
"If the accusation is not proved beyond reasonable doubt against the man accused in the dock, then by law he is entitled to be acquitted, because that is the way our rules work.  It is no concession to give him the benefit of the doubt. He is entitled by law to a verdict of Not Guilty." - R v Adams

Zak Beresford

It's not unusual I think that he wanted a police car there either arriving at the same g

Rob Garland

It was dark so JB would have seen the blue lights from a way back coming up behind, if I see blue lights I often pull over and even stop. I see nothing in JB driving slowly as the police passed.