The injuries to Nevill's back

Started by Erik Narramore, January 29, 2022, 02:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erik Narramore

What explains the injuries to Nevill's back?

Possibilities:

(i). A poker was found by David Boutflour in the gun cupboard on 12th. September 1985.  The aga was lit on the night of the 6th./7th. August.

(ii). Nevill suffered injuries in the attack that night.  This could have included the injuries to his back.

(iii). Could be old injuries - Nevill suffered a back injury while serving as an RAF pilot during the War.  After the War, he was a hands-on farmer right up to his death and could have suffered injuries or bruises at any time, any day of the week.  He may not even have been aware of these particular injuries.

(iv). Could be an oncological biopsy.  Nevill had discussions with the farm secretary, Barbara Wilson, that boded ill for the future.  It could be that he feared he may have cancer.  Maybe he did have cancer and did not want to tell Jeremy, and this was not picked up in the post-mortem.

I rule out (i) because no blood was found on the poker and it would not be practicable for the killer to use it.

I rule out (ii) because there was no blood coming from these back injuries.

I rule out (iv) because there are no reports of Nevill suffering symptoms that would be associated with cancerous tumours.  I also rule out the injuries being the result of the removal of benign tumours because the injuries are not consistent with this.
"If the accusation is not proved beyond reasonable doubt against the man accused in the dock, then by law he is entitled to be acquitted, because that is the way our rules work.  It is no concession to give him the benefit of the doubt. He is entitled by law to a verdict of Not Guilty." - R v Adams

Erik Narramore

We can't assume it was burn marks.  The injuries may have been the result of impact by the cold poker.
Or the injuries may be the result of simple scratching or something.  It may just have been bruising.

If it was burns, the poker would then be used to inflict burns repeatedly, which could result in blood on the poker, but also remember that Nevill was bleeding anyway, so it is likely the poker would have picked up blood staining from Nevill and maybe transfer blood stains from the scene.  Presumably, Jeremy would then have to clean the poker, which adds one further complication to the crime.

Nevill's pyjama top did not have holes or tears in it, to my knowledge.  This is not conclusive because the killer could have lifted it to inflict burns or injuries, but I would have thought a hot poker would have made some sort of mark on the clothing.
"If the accusation is not proved beyond reasonable doubt against the man accused in the dock, then by law he is entitled to be acquitted, because that is the way our rules work.  It is no concession to give him the benefit of the doubt. He is entitled by law to a verdict of Not Guilty." - R v Adams